Buyers Resources for Your New Home
Choosing your real estate professional is one of the most important decisions you will make when buying property. A good realtor will have your best interests at heart & look out for you.
Here are some simple tips to help you find and purchase the home of your dreams!
Before you buy:
- Get pre-qualified. Call or visit your lender! This takes very little time & lets you know the price range that fits your lifestyle.
- Know what you want. What are you looking for in a home? Think about size, area, age, condition, number of bedrooms & baths, etc.
- Keep your debt load to a minimum. Don’t make major purchases or incur any additional debt until after your purchase. Pay down credit cards and don’t apply for new ones. Remember, financial institutions evaluate your financial situation on your gross monthly income. Your total monthly house costs should not exceed 28 percent of your gross monthly income.
- Be prepared to view new properties quickly. Sometimes homes sell quickly, so be ready to make fast decisions.
- Submit a strong competitive offer.
- Include an earnest money deposit. This shows that you are serious! Sometimes referred to as “good faith” money.
- Try to minimize the number of contingencies. Fewer contingencies mean a stronger offer.
- Hire an inspector. A professional building inspector will make sure the home of your choice is in satisfactory condition.
- Check zoning regulations and covenants. Good residential neighborhoods will be zoned to keep out commercial and industrial users. Read any restrictive covenants.
- Request a property survey. Be sure it clearly marks boundaries & check for problems.
- Make sure you know what stays or goes. Your contract should be very specific about which items are included in the sale.
- Get agreements in writing. Make sure any verbal agreements are written into the final contract.